On one hand this terrifies me because I’m obviously considering myself a “real blogger” by making the decision to spend money on it. I am hiring someone to help me with the redesign and the transfer from wp.com. I’m not a tech-orientated person. And frankly, the money I would have to spend on childcare to get that all done myself would far surpass what I’m paying someone directly to get the work done. And it will look SO much better. I have no visual talents. I’m good with words, but not pictures. I cannot even write my name in bubble letters.
Putting the “fear” of moving more seriously into blogging aside, I’m so excited to have a look, feel, and purpose that is all MINE. Having a self-hosted blog leaves open the possibility to make a little change from what I do here IF I ever choose to go that route. (The jury is still out on whether I’ll go in that direction.) In my current platform (wordpress.com) advertisements are not allowed, nor is Google Analytics. I’ve learned so much about blogging using wp.com though, and I highly recommend it as the place to start for new bloggers.
Okay, so the part where I need your advice. I’m looking at both bloggers and NON bloggers here.
- If you were starting from scratch, what would be on your wish list for a new blog?
- If you have made the move from wp.com, what do you wish you knew or had done differently?
- If you have ads on your blog or do sponsored posts, anything you wish you knew at first that you know now?
For my readers:
- What keeps you coming back here?
- What would you like to see more of?
- What would you like to see less of?
- (Feel free to answer via email if you don’t want to answer publicly. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you so much in advance for your two cents! I’m happy to return the favor in any way I can.
Photo by Colemama via Flickr